Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

A Heart Check

It's oh so strange the things that become idols in my heart.  Jeremiah 17:9 tells us, "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?" I confess that I sometimes get a little smug and forget how true this is of my heart.

As I posted recently, God has convicted me that my heart is not broken for the lost and hurting people of the world.   After thinking and praying about ways our family could get more involved in serving and caring for people in need, I contacted the local homeless ministry to find out about donating meals.

As I began thinking about what I should make, I immediately thought about a fabulous beef stew our family has been enjoying this winter.   But as I thought through what I'd need to buy to make it, I remembered that it calls for beef broth and immediately I thought, "Oh, I'll just buy some beef broth instead of using the broth in the freezer."

Oh, the selfishness of my heart!  This is why Isaiah says that "all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags" (Isaiah 64:6).  


You see, the beef broth in my freezer is home made beef broth:

  • It required an elaborate collection of bones that I spent months acquiring.
  • I spent most of a Saturday monitoring it as it simmered in a 5 gallon pot on a propane burner in the garage.  
  • In the simmering, a lot of liquid evaporated off, leaving me with less broth than I hoped for.  
  • The resulting broth is packed with fabulous nutrients, minerals, and gelatin and it makes me feel warm and fuzzy to serve it to my children. 

And frankly, I don't want to share it.  


Clearly I need a heart check.  It's amazing to me that beef broth of all things has become an idol of my heart.

Father--
Please forgive my selfish heart.  May I truly make you Lord of my life, Lord of my heart, and Lord of even the beef broth in my freezer.  Please help me to have such genuine compassion for hurting people that I want to give them my best.   Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Bethany, this is so cool--thanks for letting God convict you, and then model repentance for us.

    I definitely had a "heart check" last week when God revealed to me how I selfishly wanted to claim something (glory) for myself when it was really meant for him.

    Was it Manfisher you were talking about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Manfisher. :) The director came and spoke at our church a few months ago and I was so inspired and convicted by him. It seems like a wonderful place.

    ReplyDelete