Pages

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Beef Stew with Love

In an effort to foster in our family an attitude that reflects God's heart of compassion for the hurting world, the kids and I prepared some food to deliver to the local homeless ministry.

Laying the Foundation
To engage the kids not only in what we were doing, but why we were doing it, we skipped ahead in the Bible story book that we are reading nightly through Lent, to a story book version of Matthew 25:34-40:

   “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.  For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
    “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
    “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

After reading it we talked about what Jesus was telling us we should do.  As we talked about people who don't have jobs to earn money to buy food, Big Brother piped up, "I have money.  I could go to the grocery store and buy some food to give to them."  

Yeah!  He's getting it.  His commented provided the perfect opening to suggest that he and Sis help me make some food to take to some people who were hungry.  

Making Food with Love
Together we made sugar cookies, beef stew, and sourdough biscuits.   The kids love to help with cookies, but don't usually help prepare dinners, so they found this to be a treat.  

I prepped a lot of the vegetables the night before so that Sis could be in charge of dumping them in the crock pot. 

Big Brother carefully used a small knife to cut the potatoes.

Before we left to deliver the meal, Big Brother, Sis and I prayed together thanking God for all He has provided and asking that this food would nourish and encourage the people eating it.  

I arranged the food so that each child had something to carry to be sure they were actively participating in all the steps of this giving adventure.  

Thank you, Lord for the people with the vision to run this local ministry!  I'm so thankful we were able to help in this small way; I loved the kids' enthusiastic help and plan to make this a regular activity.   

No comments:

Post a Comment