Pages

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Squanto and the Miracle of Thanksgiving


Squanto and the Miracle of Thanksgiving by Eric Metaxas--

Eric Metaxas recently published a serious (huge!) biography of Dietrich Bonohoffer and has been interviewed extensively on various programs on the Christian radio station to which I listen.  Metaxas was both engaging and intellectual in these interviews, so when I saw at Amazon that he had a picture book about Thanksgiving, I was aching to buy it.  I try to be frugal, but book-buying is a serious week spot of mine; nevertheless, I resisted.  Our library didn't have a copy, but did have tons of of other Thanksgiving books, including several about Squanto, so I restrained myself.

Then--also on Christian radio--I heard a Chris Fabry Live program about making God the focal point of our Thanksgiving celebration.  I sent an email asking if he could ask his guest for any book recommendations about Thanksgiving for preschoolers.  When Chris Fabry responded personally to my email suggesting this book by Eric Metaxas, well, that clinched it:  I couldn't resist buying it.

Squanto and the Miracle of Thanksgiving   -     
        By: Eric Metaxas
    
This book conveys the history of Thanksgiving by following Squanto's life:  kidnapped and sold into slavery, purchased by and treated kindly by monks, who arrange for him to go to England so that he ultimately can return home to America where he aids the pilgrims by teaching them how to live off the land on which they have settled, ultimately resulting in the first Thanksgiving feast.  This book has a decidedly Christian perspective and highlights God's sovereignty.   The pictures are pleasant, but not as bold or engaging as those in some of the other Thanksgiving books we read.  For a preschool audience, it is quite text-heavy with 6-8 sentences per page.  Nevertheless, my four-year old was patiently engaged with this book and interested in the story.

The climax of the book comes when William Bradford says to Squanto:  "It is like the story of Joseph from our sacred Scriptures . . . Like you, Joseph was also taken from his home and sold as a slave.  But God had a plan for him.  Through Joseph, God was able to save many people from starving.  What man had intended for evil, God intended for good.   . . . Perhaps God has sent you to be our Joseph."    After reading this page, my four-year old asked me, "Who is Joseph?"  What a great opportunity to pull our Bible story book and build on the connection by reading about Joseph's life!


I'm glad that I purchased this book, but I think it is one into which we will grow in the next few years.  

No comments:

Post a Comment