Pages

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Off to Plymouth Rock!

Off to Plymouth Rock! by Dandi Daley Mackall--
When I first encountered this book on my search for Thanksgiving picture books that would convey both history and faith, it seemed too simple to me.  However, as I read more and more books, I began to realize it is really the perfect Thanksgiving book for a two-year old and is enjoyable for older children as well.  Each page has just 1-2 short, punchy, rhyming sentences accompanying interesting, although highly caricatured illustrations.  It manages to convey the historical journey and even something of the Pilgrim's attitude of thankfulness, despite the limited text.  As a stand-alone it would leave a lot of questions and gaps, but for a parent who had read up on the history elsewhere, it is an engaging tool to introduce the basic events, filling in details as interest and attention-span allow.

No comments:

Post a Comment