Pages

Friday, December 17, 2010

Giving and Serving: Advent Week 3

Giving and serving will be the focus of our advent activities this week.  Now that we've focused on Christ's birth, this week is about how we're supposed to live in light of His life.

We're focusing on stories from the life of Christ:  the feeding of the 5,000; stories of miraculous healing; and the parable of the good Samaritan.  In an effort to combat the Santa propaganda machine, we'll also be reading some stories about the real Saint Nicholas.  I want the kids to get into the spirit of giving, so we're making lots of crafty gifts for family members.

I had also hoped to make some little things to take share with the residents of the small nursing home in our neighborhood.  Unfortunately, when I called them and told them my children's ages they said no--too great a risk of sharing germs.  (They would be happy to have has visit in the spring after cold/flu season, so I'm thinking May baskets.)

The first week of advent I had such a tight focus, clear object, and was on top of  my plans--and I was so pleased with how things went.  As the month wears on and other commitments have demanded my time, our activities have become a bit more haphazard than I like; however, I'm not going to let that discourage me.  I'm  making notes of what we're doing, what went wrong, and what I want to do to make it better next year.

This year is my rough draft.  By the time Baby Brother gets old enough for this, I'll have down pat.

No comments:

Post a Comment