Pages

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Family Memory Match Game

The Family Memory Match Game that Sis made for Big Brother was the biggest hit of all our home made gifts.

I had to do a lot of prep work for this, but Sis definitely contributed a lot and felt ownership of the final project.  When Big Brother opened it Christmas morning, she kept proudly exclaiming, "I made that for you! I made it!"

To prepare, I had purchased wood discs, two inches in diameter.  I ordered two copies each of pictures of everyone in the family--including the cat and dog.  Using a scrap-booking template (that I acquired years ago when Papa decided I needed a hobby), I cut out the pictures in circles to fit the discs.

Sis painted each disc with Mod Podge and then placed the pre-cut pictures on the disc.  After they dried, I helped her add a protective layer of Mod Podge on top.

Then she made a box in which to store the pieces.
She coated a small shoe box in Mod Podge and covered it in a collage of bright squares of scrapbook paper.  I thought this would be easy for her, but was mistaken as she kept putting down squares of paper without enough Mod Podge underneath.  Eventually we got it covered and added a layer of Mod Podge on top to finish it.

In an effort to hide this from both Papa and Big Brother (surprises are fun!), I hid the drying items on top of a kitchen cabinet.  Being Mr. Observant, Papa spotted it, but kindly cooperated and did not investigate, so got to enjoy the surprise Christmas morning.

The kids, grandparents, and aunties all loved this gift. I loved that, although I'd done a lot of prep work, Sis felt ownership of the project and was excited about making it and giving it to Big Brother.

Like so many of our projects, this one was inspired by a post from Chasing Cheerios.

No comments:

Post a Comment