Pages

Friday, December 31, 2010

Kid-Customized Picture Frames

These picture frames bedecked with legumes turned out beautifully!


When Baby Brother was five days old, a friend did a photo shoot for us and captured a great family picture.  I had 8x10s printed to give as gifts to grandparents, aunts and uncles, but wanted this to be a gift from the kids not me.

I struggled to think of a way the kids could decorate the frames themselves, but still have them look nice enough people would want to display them long-term.  Multi-colored legumes solved my problem.

We started with very basic wood frames from the dollar store and a bag of legumes for "15 Bean Soup."  After experimenting a bit, I separated the small beans and the large beans into two containers.



The kids glopped Mod Podge on the frame, sprinkled small legumes first, and finished by pressing in large legumes.  Sis was great at making it random; Big Brother kept trying to make patterns.  I was pleased that at 2.5 and 4 years old they were both able to do this quite independently, so the final product was truly from the kids.  



After they were dry, I added a layer of Mod Podge on top to seal everything down.

The finished frames are colorful and fun.  They look like they were made by children, but are pretty enough to want to hang on a wall long-term (at least to a Grandma or Aunty).

No comments:

Post a Comment