Pages

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

My Favorite Homemade Christmas Gift: Foot Prints for Papa

The footprint painting the kids and I made for Papa is my favorite homemade Christmas gift this year.



To help the kids get focused on the giving side of Christmas rather than the getting side of Christmas, I decided that we should make homemade gifts for everyone during our Giving and Serving week of advent.  I didn't post pictures sooner for fear the intended recipients might stumble upon them.

To make these footprints, we painted an 8x10 canvas art board with blue acrylic paint.  As this paint is not washable (and after a previous fiasco making hand prints), I dressed the kids in scrubby clothes, set up the board on a shop towel and had a bucket of soapy water ready.

Big Brother stepped on first and got a perfect foot print!  Sis stepped on and smeared paint everywhere, so I painted over that print and tried again.  Lather, rinse, repeat:  we got a good print on the third try.  Little Mr. Man cooperated quite well and left a nice print the first time around (although a little toe-smearing leaves the vague impression that he has six toes, but a close look clears matters up and I did not want to press my luck trying for anything better).

After we had made the prints, I realized I wanted to add the phrase, "Following in Papa's Footsteps," but couldn't figure out how to do it.  The scrap-booking sticker selection at Walmart was seriously picked over by the time I made it there.  My very crafty friend came to the rescue and cut the letters in adhesive vinyl on her SCAL machine.

I was literally applying the letters at midnight Christmas Eve, but all ended well as Papa loves it and plans to display it in his office.

Being sadly crafting-incompetent, I was scrambling to come up with easy ideas in which the kids be easily involved.   Most of our projects, including this one, were inspired by projects from Chasing Cheerios.

No comments:

Post a Comment